Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Say goodbye to peer pressure

I was trolling some message boards and forums today looking for something new to write about for this blog. I've been a little unmotivated in the positive attitude lately and I believe I'm coming down with something.

I decided looking for new ideas was a good way to put by sore throat out of my mind. I came across an old message where someone was asking what was so great about being 30 and one of the respondents had a great answer. They said

The great thing about turning 30 is that you now feel perfectly justified in doing whatever you want, regardless of peer pressure.
"It's late, I'm going home. Know why? BECAUSE I'M 30 AND I CAN!"
It sounds silly, but I think it's been a good way of thinking about it. I just care less what my friends (or others) think, and more about what I actually want and how I want to achieve that.

How awesome is that?? Turning 30 means I will be able to give up the dependence upon my friends' opinions that drove me through my 20s. Better yet, peer pressure will be a thing of the past and I can finally live my own life, my own way!!

What a great day! AND a GREAT AGE! Suddenly I want to turn 30 all over again just to have that spark of new found independence to look forward to again.

Here's the link if you want to check out some of the other answers.
http://ask.metafilter.com/47818/Happy-Birthday-to-me

1 comment:

Noelle said...

I agree. There is something about the "3" in front of your age that makes adult decisions easier to justify. So much of our 20s (and teens) is spent looking around to see what our peers are doing that to be 30+ means you can be above that. I am looking to 40 (which is very close) because a lot of advice for younger people I can just start laughing at!