Monday, October 13, 2008

Dave Ramsey Podcast

I was listening to a Dave Ramsey podcast this afternoon while at work. For those who don't know, Dave is a financial authority and author of two leading books about personal finance
Total Money Makeover


& Financial Peace





These books instruct readers on Dave's basic philosophy and plan for dealing with money. Dave is the no-nonsense type who lays it out plainly for anyone to see.


  • Spend less than you make
  • Get out of debt
  • Pay cash
  • Work hard
  • Save. Save. Save

I happened to listen to Dave's show podcast after reading an article this morning about how average people will have a difficult time getting credit.

Getting control over our finances is an intimidating goal, especially in today's financial era. If you are anything like me, you approached turning 30 with a pile of debt. Maybe it was student loans, credit cards or a mortgage and car payments. Debt of any kind can make you feel overwhelmed. The stress of financial instability and uncertainty makes us doubt our choices and our abilities.

Something else Dave Ramsey said caused a little distress for me. He was counseling a man who was 24 and worried that he wasn't doing enough to support his wife because he only made $20k a year. The couple had no debt and was living within their means while his wife was going to school to be a teacher. What Dave suggested was that once the wife finished school and was working that her husband would be able to consider what he could do to improve his education and later his income. The upsetting statement from Dave was that the man should have a goal of tripling his income by the time he was 29. In fact, Dave suggested, everyone should have a similar goal.

I was disheartened by his assertion. I make a good living and never have I been able to triple my income in five years. Moreover, I have advanced my career over time and gotten regular promotions yet I have never reached that degree of success. I have pursued graduate level education, advanced my professional skill and certifications and worked multiple jobs to advance my second career as well. SO if I've worked this hard and faced these challenges, and I cannot triple my income, can anybody? Is Dave Ramsey just setting another unrealistic goal that none of us will achieve?

What about your goals? Your personal or financial goals? Are any of those unreasonable? What can you do to make them more reasonable?

Is there any way to keep yourself from feeling unsuccessful when in front of you is unreasonable goals and ideals?

No comments: