Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Reward yourself

Looking at the economy this might not be the best time to have this conversation but I think we need to think about what we can do to stay positive right now, whether it is positive about our age, our income or whatever may be bringing us down. To that end I’d like to suggest a little retail therapy.

Usually I am not a big fan of the shop ‘til your hurts go away mentality since that tends to lead to debt which increases fear and you end up with one big, ugly cycle of discomfort and craziness. However, retail therapy is good for the economy and I’m not suggesting that you go overboard. As a matter of fact I’m ordering you not to use credit for this little reward.

A few weeks ago after a stressful week and craving a special gift for myself I went out and bought this Coach purse. I didn’t go overboard and buy the large Hobo style bag or the newest item. I went to the outlet store and purchased a bag (WITH CASH) that I fell in love with a few weeks earlier. The bag was on sale.

Sale doesn’t always mean that the purchase is a good one and I usually recommend in times of financial stress that you spend as little as possible. BUT I was in need of a reward, something to make the sacrifices (and months of working 2 jobs) worthwhile so that I would be motivated to continue. I also, that same day, arranged a new lease for next year that would save me more than $200 a month in rent from this past year, and worked out to be $400 less than the increase my present complex was demanding. So in all, spending $70 that I DID HAVE IN CASH seemed worth the effort and energy I had expended.

Why am I telling you about my purse? Because I am a responsible gal, I work hard and try not to be frivolous. So when I tell you that sometimes you need to reward yourself, I mean it.
I’m not suggesting you spend what you don’t have or spend a lot. Right now many of us are making sacrifices, working more, spending less, whatever it takes to get by. If you are one of these women then consider rewarding yourself a little. Once a month or every other month (whatever your budget can spare) take yourself to breakfast and spend $5 at the bakery, or if you recently cut out your daily Starbucks habit, then treat yourself to your favorite coffee on a Saturday morning. Buy a book or purchase a favorite album on iTunes. If there is absolutely no available cash, the reward yourself with a walk in the park alone or with a friend or even a bubble bath on a Sunday evening.

Just do something that reminds you that your hard work is worth it and there will be better times ahead.

No comments: