Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Buy Into Some Hype

If you buy into the hype surrounding turning 30 you may accept the idea that this is an age when you find yourself.

My personal belief is that finding ourselves is an ongoing, lifelong process that has nothing to do with age. However, I also realize that not everyone is as focused on self awareness as I am. For me it's an innate quality I have always had but it has been enhanced by a happily single lifestyle and fierce independence.

So if you are not like me (and most people are not) then you may be new to the idea of finding yourself. Many assume this stops at the end of our teenage or college years. So 30 seems like it should be an age when you have already accepted who and what you are. This is one of those times when I suggest you buy into the hype. Don't believe that you should have life already figured out.

Instead consider going with the societal expectations in just this one area and I suggest that you use this time to figure out what you want out of life. Even if you think you know, you've always wanted to be a lawyer, doctor or ballerina. Maybe you've always wanted to be a psychiatrist but now that you've started work you aren't sure if you like the work or can continue for another 20 years. There is always time to reevaluate.

Repeat after me - It is never too late. There is always time to reassess and reevaluate your life, your goals and your motivation.
You have the time so use it.
Get to know you.

No comments: