Monday, October 27, 2008

Holidays, Schmolidays

Let me start by saying that as much as I love birthdays, I do not love holidays. The forced nature of holidays combined with the obligations that are involved tend to irritate me instead of inspire me.

I love giving gifts but already (in October) the thought of Christmas shopping is giving me the hives. AND TODAY my not-into-holidays boss decided to have a total change of personality so we are having a Halloween party at the office.

While it isn't strictly required that we "participate" by dressing up in costume on Friday, it would be "appreciated" if we played along. Did I mention how much I hate being forced into holidays? Just to be clear, I've never been a big fan. This isn't something that just hit me one day and I decided I've grown out of the Halloween experience. I think I only when trick-or-treating twice in my life. And I didn't enjoy it either time.

So how about you?
Now that you're an adult do you participate in holiday shenanigans?
Do you do it for your kids?
Or do you do it because someone else expects it?

OR are you one of those people who genuinely love holidays?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that there are people out there who like holidays. They get into it and seem to have a ton of fun. Because after all, they are doing something they enjoy. It's just those of us who don't find dressing up "FUN" that don't enjoy the experience.

So again I guess I'm repeating the question -
Now that you're 30 (or about to be) do you still enjoy holidays the way you did as a child?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not as much as when we were kids...but only because now I'm responsible for buying the candy and presents and eggs, etc...AND lets not forget the clean-up.