Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Managing Stress and Investing

Stress is big in our culture. It defines and often consumes us. Looking at the news today and finding that the Dow dropped 800 points and the economy is continuing to crash around us, how can we not be stressed.

At lunch today two different people commented about how they would not be able to retire within three years as they had originally planned. They took a large enough financial hit that they won't be able to recover in time to meet their retirement goal.

THIS SUCKS! Royally, for them!

I do have empathy, please don't misunderstand. But at the same time I am grateful that even though I have taken some hits with my investments, I will have time to recover. I started my 401k at 22 and have a fair amount of money saved even though I took most of it out when I changed jobs 3 years ago. Still I know that while the losses suck, I can get it back. When the economy recovers, I can survive this downturn and be able to recover again.

So turning 30 may be the first time you started thinking about the economy or your financial future. If not, great for you. If you've gotten a head start then you are even better positioned than many of your peers. If you haven't started preparing for the future, I hope that when this crisis passes, you will do so.

Still if you're having a rough day and need something positive to consider about turning 30 - remember that you have time. You have lots of time to invest in your future and recover losses. Our age, our youth, provides this time. Make good use of it!!

No comments: