Monday, July 27, 2009

One craptastic day

Have you ever had one of those days, you know, the kind when you wake up and it might take a tidal wave or a heavy crane to get your out of bed? I had one of those this morning. It took more than 30 minutes just to convince myself to get out of bed instead of calling in for a mental health day.

Once I was out of bed, things just seemed to get worse. My coffee ended up on my first outfit so I changed. The butter from my Eggos on my second outfit. I managed to make it to work in my third outfit. It's a good thing I did laundry over the weekend.

I maintained a grumpy and irritable attitude all day long. At lunch, I spilled my soda on a coworkers shoes (she was wearing sandals). Then I dropped bar-b-que chicken on my khaki pants. By that time I'm certain my wardrobe wished I had not left my pajamas.

Hours later I'm home, I've eaten a microwave dinner in pjs and I'm ready to go to bed even though the sun hasn't set.

This day reminded me of one thing, sometimes you should go with your first instinct, it's probably the right one. When your body is screaming that it needs a break or your mind just wants to hide under the covers for a random day, why not go ahead and do something for yourself.

I fought my need for a mental health day and ended up grumpy and pissed off when I should have used a sick day and curled up with a good book and a mug of tea.

So how would you spend a mental health day?

If you had the time and it wouldn't traumatize your work schedule or coworkers, what would you do. For a single day you can take a break and so what makes you feel better. How would you spend that day?

No comments: