Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Be thankful for a moment

I’m traveling a lot for my day job which means I spend a lot of time in hotels, airports and strange towns. This week I’m calling Texas home. After a delayed flight and getting lost I managed to get to the hotel and then the office where I am working this week. Being around other travelers I’ve noticed that traveling is the time for complaining.

The present situation for the traveling public is a grim one – rising prices meet falling service. So wherever I go, I find people who are more than willing to complain about whatever situation they find themselves in.

What struck me today is that instead of whining and complaining, I’d rather be thankful. While sitting in my rental car earlier this morning I made a list of all the thinks I am happy about today:

Heat (winter will be here before I know it)
Air conditioning (to balance the heat)
Comfortable hotel bed
Money to eat out
Clean air to breathe
Comfy shoes
People who love me for who I am
Books to read
Stories to tell


Take this test today, no matter what your mood:

Stop for one minute, just 60 seconds, and list things you are grateful for today. Don't overthink this, just make a list in a rush.

Hopefully you'll that small activity will perk up your mood.

No comments: