Sunday, August 31, 2008

Childless by choice

Apparently I have kids on the brain this week. I cannot tell you why since I have no desire to have any and I’m not likely to change my mind any time soon. I don’t dislike kids, my nieces and nephews are great and my life would be a lot less interesting without them. Still, I doubt seriously that I would make a good mother.

It is my view of my own personal feelings that inspires my choice not to have children. Of course I am a pragmatist and refuse to make always or never statements. I cannot say that I will never have children because things could change. Still whether I stay single forever or end up with a spouse and half dozen kids in the next decade, I take issue with anyone else making statements about my decisions.

Thirty is the first time most women start getting the looks and comments about how their biological clock must be ticking wildly away. In your twenties if you are single or don’t have children you are not considered selfish or immature. People say you are finding yourself or getting all the wildness out of your system before you settle down.

Why does settling down or growing up mean that you have to become a mom? Why does anyone else care that I am childless by choice?

Should you care? Why?

No comments: