Sunday, August 24, 2008

I'm back

I've managed to find my way home and back to this blog. I should apologize for being away. I was attending a training session in Memphis (yes I managed a trip to Graceland) and for some reason I could get a network connection on my laptop, I just couldn't keep it long enough to get posts written and posted.

Technology is not my friend - ever!

So while spending way too much time in airports and cursing my computer this week I had a thought about technology. Again I should remind you that I am a technophobe. I use computers because I have to but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I'm also a big fan of the television, enough so that if left to my own devices I would get home from work at 515p and plant myself in front of some mindless show until I was falling asleep at 11p. In that time I would ignore the phone, forget to eat dinner and blow off any projects I should be working on (including this blog). SO, what to do about an addiction to television and mindless technology??

I turned it off. My pretty 42" LCD high-definition TV just sits in my living room, looking decorative but not useful because last month I had the cable turned off (and I don't have an antenna to get regular network TV). Believe it or not, I've done OK without the set. I do however watch some shows on my computer but I'm at about 4 hours a week instead of 4 a night.

Sorry for the TV ramble. Where was I. OH yes - technology.

I was thinking about how technology has changed in the last 30 years.
flat panel TV
cell phones
personal computers (to laptops then PDAs)
CDs
DVDs
Blu-ray
High Definition
Atari - Nintendo - PlayStation
the Internet
Space shuttle missions
GPS
Prozac & Ritalin
iPod & MP3


I wonder what we will see next??
Total lack of Internet privacy
All TV, on demand
Wrist watch computers (these are pretty close)
Cars that fly and talk (as well as keep us from getting lost)
Terminator like robots that destroy humanity
True virtual reality & hologram rooms

What do you think? Where will the next 30 years take us with technology??

No comments: