Saturday, August 9, 2008

Turning 30 means I will never have to do ???(fill in the blank) again

Let's play a little game. I'm feeling a bit chipper today. Take out a piece of paper so you can make a list. This will be a short activity. If you are pressed for time then set a timer for 5 minutes. Take a deep breath then for 5 solid minutes write everything that comes to your mind. Writers call this a bit of free writing. EXCEPT this activity is more like guided writing.

Write the statement
Turning 30 means I will never have to do __________ again.

Now for 5 minutes. Fill in the blank.
Ready? GO!

Help anyone move
Wear a belly bearing top (unless I have fab abs)
Learn to drive
Get carded (really, it never happens anymore)
Be embarrassed to be out drinking with my mom
Explain to my parents where I was the night before
Never be told I’m too young to know what I want
Never be told I am too young (for anything)
The splits or back bends to impress my friends
Try on clothes with someone else in the dressing room with me
Let someone else pick out my clothes (unless I want to)
Wear a bikini top to school (or a concert)
Sit in a tiny desk chair
Beg my brother to cover for me when I'm late
Borrow the family car
Ask permission - for anything

This is my list. After 5 short minutes. I'm sure I could come up with more if I spent time thinking about it. Anyway, what I learned from this exercise is a bit about what matters to me. -

Independence, freedom and not wearing skimpy clothes

See turning 30 can be a very, very good thing!!

No comments: