Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Little Brothers and Why

I am lucky enough to have a younger brother who is close enough that we can talk and have fun together. We are less than 2 years apart in age. I read something today that reminded me why I so appreciate having this younger brother.

I was reading an e-book Mastering the Fat Loss Mindset by Dax Moy & Craig Ballentyne. One of the things they suggest is that when setting goals we need to know the reason behind the goal. Not the surface or superficial one but the real one. The way to find this hidden reason, this depth behind what motivates us, is simple according to the authors. You just have to ask Why?

Being the older sibling to a curious boy taught me a lot about the word why. There is virtually no situation when the word is not useful. Growing up my brother's favorite word was why. I'm guessing that innate curiosity has always guided his life. He works with computer programming and has a personal interest in science and physics that tends to be above my head. But as kids he would ask me everything he could think of. From why is the sky blue to why does anyone care what other people think.

This dynamic - him asking why and me trying to answer - is fundamental to the paths we've taken in life. You see, for me the path is writing and teaching. I'm still trying to provide the answer to the question why. His interest in science is how he continues to ask the question why.

In thinking about how much the word Why has shaped my life and combining those thoughts with Moy & Ballentyne's insistence that we need to get to the root of why we do things and why we want things -- I made the connection that sometimes I avoid asking why when I should be asking it more often.

Personally I will apply the following technique to goal setting for the next year or two to help motivate me out of the rut I'm currently in. For today, I will apply asking why to the idea of turning 30.

There's no reason to ask "Why do I have to turn 30?" Since we have no choice in the matter.

What other questions can we ask about 30? How about these:
Why does turning 30 make me nervous?
Why do I feel that I have to be married by this birthday?
Why do I feel pressure?
Why can't I feel good about this birthday?
Why do I feel compelled to have more success at work by now?
Why, oh why, do I care?

Try something today. Choose one of these questions, whichever one appeals or concerns you most. Then ask your self WHY? And keep asking until you get the true answer.

I will do the same for tomorrow's post.

No comments: