Sunday, September 28, 2008

Women's Health Blog

I don't recall if I've mentioned it before but Women's Health magazine has a blog running right now by one of their editors who is writing about the year leading up to her 30th birthday. Since it is Women's Health the blog often centers on exercise or working toward the goal of running a marathon. This seems like typical stuff but I checked in with the blog today and two things caught my eye (then PISSED ME OFF!).

Use this link to check it out for yourself. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/blog/jwaldbieser

FIRST

The About This Blog section follows:

"I'm Jill, a senior editor at WH. I turn 30 in one short year, and already I feel myself growing older, weaker, and more boring by the second. Since I can’t reclaim my youth, I’m going to squeeze every last moment of fun out of my 365 remaining days as a twenty-something. Help me decide how I should make every day count."

Did you read that? Let me repeat something:

"I turn 30 in one short year, and already I feel myself growing older, weaker, and more boring by the second."

I do believe I want to smack Jill right about now.
How about you?

Only the immature and naive actually believe that 20 somethings are capable of being more interesting than their older peers. Women who reach 30, especially those who do so with a positive attitude, have life experience and opinions that make them interesting (not boring). And why would anyone look to this Jill for her opinion after reading her intro? Has she never met the other people who work at her magazine (or in the rest of the world) who have surpassed 30 to remain vibrant, strong and fascinating? How dull her life must have been.

SECOND

I looked at previous posts and came across another entry that irritated me. In April she bemoans the clothes she is about to have to give up due to her "aging". These are the sexy, fun, flirty dresses and even high heels that apparently we should turn in once we hit the big 3-0. She also mentions having to give up shorts (long before 30 actually). Read some of her entry:

"I still remember a few years ago, when shorts suddenly became off-limits to me. A vague unease about slipping them on had been sneaking up on me for a while, and my collection had shrunk down to two pair. Then one day a friend (a younger friend) mentioned how she'd stopped wearing them because she just felt ridiculous in shorts outside the gym. I thought about it and realized she was right--how many grown women do you see in shorts who aren't competing in a team sport? I retired mine the same day."

Jill is obviously living in a climate that rarely if ever sees 90 degree temperatures or she needs to work on some lunges to tone those thighs. I mean come on, give up shorts? Really? In our 20s or 30s when we likely have the best legs we will in our lives?

I don't think so.

Finding this blog was just another reminder to me about why I keep this blog. If that negativity and ignorance about turning 30 is what abounds in the world then I would like to be the positive voice who LOUDLY disagrees.

Turning 30 can be fun, positive, energizing and memorable (or it can be just another day in an already interesting life).
You choose.
Just make it a good one.

No comments: