Saturday, July 26, 2008

What Do You Hate

So maybe this week I've gotten a little off topic about Turning 30. The thing is that if this birthday is causing you any trauma or hardship then my topics are not out of reach for you.

I'm a big believer in self awareness. I don't understand people who don't contemplate their own life, their own nature. I like to understand who I am. That includes who I was in the past and who I may be in the future.

For me coming to terms with my 30th birthday was not any more traumatic than any other day full of self-awareness.

So by suggesting that we find out what we love, what motivates us, I'm hoping to get you to understand that a date on a calendar is not what does it - for anyone. A birthday is not a motivator. Finding what drives us, what motivates us, then becomes imperative to understanding ourselves AND celebrating this birthday without a midlife crisis.

Today do a simple activity if you have the time. Make a list. Not of what you love or what matters in your life or what you want to accomplish this year.

Make a list of what you hate.

I don't care if your list includes dirty diapers, toenail clippings on the bathroom floor, traffic or high heels. Whatever you hate, can't stand or dislike with feeling. Add it to your list.

Aim for 10 things on your list. They can be small things (insect bites) or large things (war). Just make then 10 things that YOU hate even if no one else would agree.

No comments: