Thursday, July 31, 2008

Side effects

One unfortunate side effect of my day off earlier this week is that my trip to the beach resulted in a killer sunburn. Apparently the SPF 50 sunscreen I applied was bad because I got fried even though I wasn’t out long.

The point of today’s blog isn’t to bemoan my unfortunate experience. Instead I started thinking about preparation. I am a planner, a goal oriented sort. It is my nature to prepare for things as far in advance as possible. I’m not totally against spontaneity but I wouldn’t call it my friend either. I tend to plan to be spontaneous – in that I plan open days or open periods of time when I will decide at the time what to do.

I tell myself that I prefer to be a flexible planner. In planning for turning 30, I planned a party and a series of get-togethers with friends before hand. I did not however, plan what would happen at any of these events.

If sunburn can be an unfortunate side effect of a relaxing day at the beach, what are the side effects of turning 30?

Better yet, what are the side effects of dreading turning 30?

Will you instead greet that day with a smile instead of the annoyance you carried around the month before your birthday?
Will you end up being grouchy and have a bad time because of your dread?
Will you skip celebrating turning 30 then live to regret it next year or ten years from now?

What will the side effects be for your life?

No comments: