Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dining Alone

I’ve lived alone for the better part of a decade. I have a tendency to move whenever the wind blows in the right direction. I follow opportunity when I can or I just follow a whim if it’s strong enough. I’m not saying that my way is the right way. It is for me. It is NOT for most people.

Over the years I have learned one thing – not everyone is capable of dining alone. I can admit that I like to eat out. I also don’t make friends easily. These two facts when combined equal one truth – I eat alone, a lot. This is not a complaint. I like to eat alone sometimes. I don’t like that “party of one” is usually followed with a look of dismay on a hostess’ face “Just one?” she asks. I don’t like that eating alone often means eating at the worst seat next to the bathroom or the kitchen door. The truth is, the bad table thing doesn’t happen that often anymore.

Still while I like eating alone, I find that most people don’t. Strangers have approached me in restaurants and made the comment “You’re so brave” in response to my dining alone. Bravery has little to do with it. I was just hungry.

Still I’ve decided that a like the idea of being BRAVE, or at least appearing so.

What do you do that makes you brave?

No comments: