Monday, July 28, 2008

Take a day off

The last few weeks I've been in a funk, unable to make myself give a flip about anything. So I decided I needed a vacation. Unfortunately there's no time for me to fit a vacation into my schedule. Instead I did the next best thing.

I took the day off!!!

I got up at my normal time but instead of going to work I took a mental health day. I drove to Maine and headed to Short Sands Beach in York. For a Monday the beach was fairly crowded but there was still room to lay out a towel and relax. I took a book and my iPod and spent a few hours just breathing in the salty air.


I'm a Florida native and no stranger to the beach. I've spent many a summer day with my feet buried in sand and salt water. Something about the salty air, the wind in my face and the sun on my skin is enough to align my brain back into order.


If you are lagging or feeling stressed; if you just are overwhelmed by the coming birthday or any other event in your life; do yourself a simple favor. Take a day off. Do whatever you want. Find out what makes you smile - take a bath, go shopping, take a walk or immerse yourself in a movie or book. It doesn't matter what you do as long as it is for you. Take a day off. You will be better off for the time you spend doing something, anything for yourself.


Until you make the time, I'm sharing a little bit of my day off with you. Enjoy the view of the sun and surf.



1 comment:

Lorelie said...

HI there! Glad you got to go the beach. So nice to find you here on the blogosphere. :-)