Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Traveling

I'm traveling today and for some reason airports give me time to think. Thinking is unfortunately a two pronged diversion for me - equally good and bad.

What was I thinking about you ask (I hope you ask otherwise why read this blog).

I was thinking about choices, about how we get where we are going or where we've been.

In the last three years I have lived in three states - Georgia, Florida and Massachusetts. In January I moved to MA thinking I would be here for a year long project then wander somewhere else. Now I hope I get to stay - at least for a few years.

Realizing how much I like living in a suburb of Boston I began to wonder how I find myself in a place I never thought I would consider. You see I HATE cold. Snow is something people talk about with dread and boredom plus IT IS COLD.

I'm from the South, actually I'm from south of The South. I'm a Florida native, Orlando actually and I'm spoiled by constant sunshine, magnificent thunderstorms and sea breezes.

Please don't ask about Disney World. I'm not a fan and haven't been there in years. Still I'm used to a certain high temperature and relative humidity. Not only did I move north to a climate I dreaded I moved in January when the temperature was 4 degrees.

What was I thinking?

The truth?! I thought the career opportunity was too good to pass up - a chance to be creative while using my expertise in may safe job. Plus I reasoned even I could handle being miserable for one year - after all it was just one year.

The good news? I was right and I was not miserable - so BONUS.

I made a choice and took a risk - WILL YOU?

No comments: