Saturday, May 10, 2008

I hate labels

I'm feeling a little rant coming on. This week someone who doesn't know me well commented that I am culturally deprived. The speaker's reasoning was based on the fact that I am a native of Orlando, Florida and I'm not at all interested in class or social divisions. I believe that we are all equal as human beings regardless of income or class status.

This may be a naive view but it's what gets me through the day. So beyond the somewhat ridiculous comment I started to think about labels. My thoughts of course wandered back to turning 30. After all what is age but another label?

So back to my point, I hate labels. All they do is allow people who don't know us well to make snap judgements or interpretations of the surface we present to the world. My decision is to ignore those who speak what they cannot know.

I've decided not to care that someone thinks my cultural background is limited (because I grew up in a community that values multiculturalism). I've made the same decision when it comes to turning 30. It's just another label and I hate labels.

No comments: