Monday, August 31, 2009

Tattoo Ideas

Lately it seems that several people I know are in the market for a new tattoo. I've read several conversations with friends on Facebook and I've been reminded (again) of my own itch for some new body art.


I love my tattoos. At the moment I have 7 and have plans for a full back tattoo to tie several of my present tattoos into a single mosaic piece. I got my first ink when I was 19. In my 20s I added to the collection every few years when I had some free cash. The one thing my 20s tats all had in common is that they could be hidden.


Since 21 I've worked in a conservative industry and I've always played by the rules. This means no visible tattoos. My normal work clothes, khaki pants and short sleeve polo shirts could hide all of my art. Frequently when people find out about my tats they are very surprised. Apparently I'm not the type to have tats, even though they're popular these days.


The thing is, I've always been the type. I wanted one at 14 and by the time I got my first, I was desperate to be inked.


A couple years ago, soon after I turned 30, I got tattoo number seven. The first of my tats that is visible most of the time. It's a small tat that covers the top of my left wrist. Turned sideways the image of a couple intertwined is visible. But to most catching a quick glimpse, the tat resembles a flower or abstract design.


What makes this tat different is that once I hit 30 I stopped caring about covering or hiding my tattoos, even in the workplace. I stopped making my tattoo choices based upon what I could hide or keep from customers or even future employers.


Now I'm working on designing my next piece of artwork and my view is the same. I want art that looks pretty and represents who I am. I don't care whether it suits my work or not. I guess if I'm ordered to wear long sleeves and cover up, I will but until then, my 3os have freed me, given me the confidence to do my thing, my way.

No comments: