Monday, August 24, 2009

Are your Tired or Bored?

Lately the only thing I've wanted at the end of the day is to crawl into bed. By end of the day, I'm talking 5 or 6 in the evening, as soon as I get home from work. Weekends have been rotated between laundry, naps and reading books I've read before. I started to get a little concerned about my lazy cravings once they lasted longer than one week.

Then I began thinking. Maybe I'm tired because I've been sleeping in hotels too often (2 weeks a month). Or maybe I'm tired because I have a busy and somewhat stressful job.

Of course, the reality is a little closer to - Maybe I'm just BORED.

I've caught myself playing Spider Solitaire in front of the TV for hours at a time. I've stared into space wishing for something interesting to read. Nothing has seemed to interest me as I walked the rut of the last few months.

Having a busy life doesn't mean having an interesting one. As we stretch into our 30s with work, family and community commitments, we become constantly busy and always on the move. Yet at the same time restlessness and irritation also set in. If we waste much of our time with all the things we have to do (or feel obligated to do) then we have little time for the things that truly interest us. As I've strayed further from what I love, I feel more exhausted and bored.

What's the solution for our 30s?
Should we work less? Live more? Or give up sleep to find time for everything we must do and want to do?

I'm still trying to decide. I'll have more energy when I find a choice that works.

No comments: