Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Personal Anthem

I've been thinking about music today, don't ask me why. My iPod says my favorite song is Angel by Sinead O'Connor because it is by far (x10) my most played song. But I'm thinking If You're Going Through Hell by Rodney Atkins is the real song of my life right now.

This got me thinking about how music is such a part of life. I identify many of the important events in my life just by the music I related to most at the time. Some examples might be cliched by here goes

I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor) - after many a break up
Eye of the Tiger (Survivor) - at the gym
Dancing Queen (ABBA) - pretty much every Wednesday night during college
It's My Life (Bon Jovi) - early career - when I needed a reason to stay motivated to succeed
Something More (Sugarland) - 2004 working Hail and Hurricanes
Should've Been a Cowboy (Toby Keith) - after a high school break up
Dog & Butterfly (Heart) - after a college break up

Then there are the songs that make me feel great no matter what
Switch (Will Smith)
Jack & Diane (John Cougar)
Keep on Loving You (The Donnas)
Love Bites (Def Leppard)
Brown Eyed Girl (Jimmy Buffett version)
I Want Love (Elton John) - Although I think I just love the video for this one

This is just a quick list I composed off the top of my head so I'm sure I've forgotten some powerful tunes. The point of the list is that all I needed to do was think of these songs and my mood became better.

I've found many options for personal anthems for my life. These are just a few, with Rodney Atkins taking first place at the moment. But just having a list like this helps motivate me through stress, crabby mornings or any other moody day.

What song motivates you?
Do you have a personal anthem?
Find your special song (or songs) and start moving with a smile on your face.

No comments: