Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The real Colette

I am accidentally named for a famous (possibly infamous) French writer who lived through some of the most interesting times. She was born in 1873 and lived 81 years to 1954. She was a daring writer who wrote novels and stories that challenged acceptable behavior pushed the boundaries of propriety. She also ignored convention and became a dancer, actress and sometimes lesbian.

I find her daring nature and her ability to thwart convention fascinating for the time she lived. Because I find her interesting and we share a name I decided to read a biography I stumbled upon a few weeks ago at the library. The book Secrets of the Flesh, A Life of Colette shared the fascinating life of a woman who was both independent and codependent at the same time. While I admire her creative skill, her narcissism and dependence upon her lovers and spouses is a bit uncomfortable to view in this modern age.

You are by now wondering why I decided to write about Colette. When reading the biography I stumbled across a quote about turning 30 that I hope will interest you. You see, Colette turned 30 in 1903 and she had strong opinions about the age and what it meant in a woman's life.


"Thirty, Colette believed, was the age of reckoning for a woman. Her emotional immune system has been tested and proved by the love sickness of youth, but she must now cease the reckless dissipation of her vital forces and plan for her long-term survival. 'I was,' she says, 'far from invulnerable, but I no longer dreamed of dying.'" (p 141, Judith Thurman)


So what do you think?

Has your emotional immune system been tested? Or do you have more to experience?
Better yet, is 30 the time to start thinking about your long-term survival?

Let me know what you think. Submit comments to this topic.

1 comment:

Ari from ParentalInstincts.com said...

Wanted to stop by and thank you for running the ad for my blog Parental Instincts today.

It looks great, and I’m pleased to be featured on such a great looking site.

Have a good day!