Monday, October 5, 2009

Excerpt: What do your children mean to you?

At the end of each chapter of the book I included quotes from the participants. These were the participants' responses during the interview to some of the questions. I'm sharing the excerpt from Chapter 5 and some answers to the question, "What do your children mean to you?"

“I wish I could bottle up the feeling I feel whenever I hear mom. I
always knew I wanted to have children. I’ve always loved being with
children; I love working with children.” Heather

“Everything. They bring every emotion under the sun, anger and
happiness and bring out the little kid in me all over again. My life
right now is taking care of them.” Jessica M.

“It means a lot of responsibility. It is the most fantastic thing I have
ever experienced in my life but it is the scariest thing that I have
ever experienced in my life because I think that I am responsible for
another human being and what they learn and how they act and what
they believe.” Amanda

These 3 moms were willing to talk about the joy and awe of motherhood. But they also shared some of the stress, worry and anxiety that comes with being a mom while trying to navigate our 30s. For more of their stories, please read 30 Isn't Old.

If you're a mom in your 30s, take 2 minutes today to think about what your children mean to you. You might just remember to take a break and have some fun with your bundles of joy.

No comments: