Monday, April 13, 2009

Looking Back

Sometimes we have to look back in order to appreciate who we've become.

Last week I had some friends over for dinner who had never been to my apartment before. The most common comment by visitors to my place is how comfortable everything is. I have the sink in and take a nap sofa as well as the spoiled princess king size bed. And my place is decorated with simple images of nature and places that I love.

Over the years I've purchased simple pieces that feel cozy and comfy because I'm a big fan of lazing around with a book and mug of tea on a Sunday morning (or afternoon, and evening).

The other thing my friends commented on is a few personal photos in my office. These are older photos of me from 10 -15 years ago. I use these photos for 2 reasons:

motivation and inspiration

I got several comments on how cheery and young and thin I looked. The young part is obvious (I was younger) and the thin part is obvious too. After my friends left I went back into the office and took another look at those photos.

What struck me is that sometimes we just have to look back to appreciate where we are now. I love my life but looking at the image of myself before I began college and one from soon after I started my first "Career" type job I was amazed at how far I've come. I've accomplished a lot in my 32 years and even more is on the way. I was reminded why our 30s are such an amazing time.

Tomorrow I'm going to post those photos as a reminder that looking back for just a minute can be a great pick me up. Where I was might have been good, but today is even better.
And tomorrow will be amazing!

No comments: